“Hexenbürgermeisterhaus” – this is the nickname of the town hall built in 1568 – 71. The name reminds of the mayor Hermann Cothmann (1629 – 1683). The last wave of witch hunts in Lemgo took place during his term of office. He was regarded as a particularly eager witch hunter.
The community centre in the middle of the historic city centre is an important architectural monument of urban architecture in the Weser Renaissance style. After extensive restoration work, many traces of more than 400 years of building and house history can be discovered.
Encounter the history of Lemgo with original objects, films and modern media. Topics include the history of the persecution of witches as well as the travels and work of the scientist and physician Engelbert Kaempfer (1651 – 1716), the founding of the city, minting of coins, the Hanseatic League, the monastery and monastery of St. Mary, the Reformation and the history of the city in the 19th and 20th centuries.