The former market town of Alverdissen is one of the oldest places in Lippe, whose origins date back to the time of Charlemagne (around 800 AD). Alwerdessen” was first mentioned in a document in 1151, and the “three-street pattern” typical of Lippe’s founding towns indicates that it must have been a planned foundation. A town seal exists from the 14th century.
After the extinction of the Counts of Sternberg, Alverdissen came to the noblemen of the Lippe. The castle has been extensively rebuilt and extended since June 2009. The palace building is once again an inhabited “residential and commercial building” with a baroque entrance area and a baroque hall on the ground floor, which is available for public and private events and occasions.