The Renaissance castle in the town’s west, the church in the heart of town and the old timber houses (Fachwerkhäuser) will make you want to slow down and take a stroll.
A well-developed network of hiking and cycling trails away from loud traffic; shadowed forest trails, pond systems and barbecue areas with protected huts ensure that casual leisure hikers as well as more athletic and ambitious hikers have their pleasure among nature and a fine landscape. In and around Barntrup there are multiple, inviting paths for discovering the highly varied landscape.
The Views Trail (Weg der Blicke) and Pilgrim Trail (Pilgerweg) lead past the Windmill Stump (Windmühlenstumpf) viewing tower, which offers a fantastic panorama view. The protestant church in Sonneborn, which was first written about in the 13th century, is particularly inviting for a moment’s pause thanks to its wall and vault illustrations.
Good integration with regional routes and interregional, long-distance paths offer a number of different options for hiking, relaxing walks and day trips to numerous attractions in the majestic Lippe region.
- Schloss Barntrup (castle)
- Heimatmuseum Alverdissen (Museum of local history)
- Windmühlenstumpf (viewing tower 347 m)
- Romanesque church in Sonneborn
- Barntruper Kunstpfad, 6,3 km (One rewarding destination for hikers and art lovers. With upwords 20 artworks installed at standout locations along the walking and hiking trails)
- Zwerg-Anton-Weg, 11,3 km (The Dwarf Anton Tour ist situated south of Alverdissen in the highlands of Nothern Lippe)
- Dachsweg, 6,3 km (The 6,3 km long Badger Trail. with exemplary signposting in the form of a badger symbol, is a little bit demanding)