This former seat of royal power is now a town of culture and nature. Detmold has made a name for itself as a cultural hub and is known outside the region’s borders. The Landestheater Detmold theatre, Hochschule für Musik Detmold music academy, a diverse and rich cultural life and numerous attractions all contribute to this reputation.
Another highlight has been created with the completion of the Parklandschaft Friedrichstal Gardens, which stretch from the town’s historic centre to the island meadows by the open-air museum.
Situated in the Naturpark Teutoburger Wald I Eggegebirge, Detmold is also rewarding for lovers of nature thanks to the numerous hiking and cycling trails that criss-cross the town, including the Hermannsweg and Römer-Lippe- Route cycling trail.
- Historic old town
- Fürstliches Residenzschloss Detmold mit Schlosspark (Former royal palace in the park)
- Lippisches Landesmuseum (Lippe regional museum)
- Palaisgarten (Park with heritage-listed tree population)
- Parklandschaft Friedrichstal (Park landscape)
- LWL-Freilichtmuseum (open-air-museum)
- Hermannsdenkmal (Hermann monument)
- Teuto-Kletterpark (Climbing Park)
- Vogelpark Heiligenkirchen (Bird Park)
- Adlerwarte Berlebeck (Eagle Park)
- Residenzweg, 57 km (The Three-section Trail around Detmold, hikers are bound to have impressive experiences which will linger in their memory)
- Pivikter Wasserweg, 5,5 km (This circular trail meanders long stretches along the Hasselbach and connects three reservoirs called Donoper Teich and Hasselbachstausee and Krebsteich)
- Hermann-Heidental-Route, 5,5 km (It is the most well-known day trip destination in Detmold and lies atop the Grotenburg mountain, which ist 356 m tall)