Northern Lippe’s highlands by the Weser
Worth your visit is the Dutch Windmill (Holländerwindmühle) in Bentorf, built in 1889 and the only windmill still in operation in the Lippe region. On certain days it opens its doors to the public, letting you take a look inside and, weather depending, watch the historical grinding process as the windmill’s blades rotate around.
In the north, right on the Weser, cyclists can enjoy a charming tour on an alternative route to the Weser Cyclist Trail (Weser-Radweg). Moving along the Weser villages, there is a cable ferry in Varenholz which gives you the option of bringing your bike over to the opposite bank of the Weser. Nature lovers and hikers are also well-accommodated in Kalletal thanks to a highly varied range of hiking trails.
- Historic windmills and watermills
- Schloss Varenholz (Castle Varenholz)
- Weserfähre (cable ferry across the Weser)
- Taller Wichtel (viewing point Taller gnome)
- Naturschutzgebiet am Teimer (conservation area)
- Waldfreundeweg / Forest Friend Trail, 5 km (This trail has child-friendly-information stations for different educational topics connected to the enviroment)
- Wichtelsteig, 2,5 km (This trail is a new, virtual educational trail in Osterhagen with multiple quiz stops)
- Luhbachweg / Luhbach Trail, 8,8 km (Following the marking of a white “L” on black ground, some of the areas you pass through are conservation areas)